Home > Android, Computer > How to manually root and update your HTC Desire to Android 2.2 (FroYo)

How to manually root and update your HTC Desire to Android 2.2 (FroYo)

froyo The official Android 2.2 (FroYo) update has been pushed out by HTC last weekend for unbranded phones. Sadly I do own an Orange.Fr branded HTC Desire (which I bought over eBay) so the update couldn’t be installed onto my phone. Since I didn’t want to wait for ages until Orange.Fr pushes out their branded FroYo (which btw is awefully branded) in twenty weeks or so, I rooted my phone and installed the latest update manually. Here is how I did it.

First of all, this tutorial does not work (so far) for HTC Desire phones, which got already updated by the OTA (over-the-air) update from HTC, since it altered the bootloader heavily.

ATTENTION: Even if it’s most unlikely that you damage your phone with the following steps, I do not take any responsibilities for possible issues. Be also warned that performing the below steps will void your warranty!

WARNING: All installed apps will be gone after the update (doesn not count for rooting). So save them e.g. with appSaver (available in the market). You should also make a SD-Card backup (just to be sure).

Rooting the phone:

Enabling USB Debugging is essential Rooting the HTC Desire is quite easy and you just have to fit the prerequisites.

• Make sure your phone has at least 40% battery left.
  • Install HTC Sync with your phone plugged in if you didn’t already.
  • Un-Install HTC Sync (we just need the drivers). Do not leave HTC Sync installed. Otherwise rooting will not work.
  • Shutdown your phone and press the power-on key while holding the volume-down key. You should see “HBOOT” in the menu now. If not, scroll down to HBOOT by using the volume-keys and select it with the power-on key.
  • If the bootloader shows you any version higher than 0.93.1 the following steps will not work.
  • Superuser Permissions Connect your phone to your computer via USB. It should say “HBOOT USB PLUGGED” on the screen.
  • Get these drivers (mirror) unpack the zip and press your Win+Pause key.
  • Select Device Manager, select the Android 1.0 device, right-click on it and select Update drivers. Direct to the folder where you have unpacked the zip-file.
  • Everything is prepared now so restart your phone.
  • Go to unRevoked.com and select your device and download the program (mirror)
  • Install that file (it just unzips itself) and run reflash.exe.
  • Connect your phone (if not already/still) via USB again and enable USB-Debugging (Settings/Applications/Development/USB-Debugging)
  • reflash.exe should now detect your phone and do everything neccessary automatically. Your phone will restart a few times.
  • Once done, your phone should be rooted after around 1-2 minutes. There should also be a Superuser Permissions app installed.

Creating a backup of the currently installed Android OS

ClockWorkMod Recovery MenuBefore you install FroYo you need the app Rom Manager from the market.

• Run Rom Manager and select Clockwork Mod Recovery installation.
  • Once done, select Restart into Recovery System.
  • The device should restart itselt into a green menu (also available by using the volume-down/power-on combo and selecting recovery from the bootloader)
  • Scroll down to nandroid with the volume-keys and select it by pressing the optical trackball.
  • Select Backup. This will copy the current ROM and every settings onto your SD-Card, so you can write it back later if anything went wrong or you have to restore the original ROM (it will be stored in /sdcard/nandroid/backups so you better don’t delete that folder!)
  • Restart your phone.
    If anything goes wrong in the following steps, you can get back to the previous Android version again by performing the above steps but selecting Restore instead of Backup.
    Installing FroYo (Android 2.2)

Now you need to get the suitable ROM and RADIO. I’d suggest using Rooted Official HTC Android 2.2 (FroYo) ROM [Market issue fixed] (ROM-Mirror,RADIO-Mirror). There are others available at XDA-Developers (some are highly modded).

• android_2.2_froyo Download the ROM and RADIO and put them onto your phone’s SD-Card main-directory.
  • Power-off your phone, hold down volume-down while pressing power-on.
  • Select recovery from the menu.
  • Select wipe data/factory reset
  • Select wipe cache partition
  • Select install zip from sdcard
  • Select chose zip from sdcard
  • Scroll down to the RADIO-Rom and select it. Accept this by selecting Yes.
  • Once done, go back in the menu and select reboot system now. The next reboot will take a bit longer and you’ll see an Android-logo on your screen.
  • Wait for the phone finishing and starting up and then power it off again.
  • Perform the same steps from above again but select the ROM now instead of the RADIO. This will take a little longer (3-5 minutes)

Android 2.2 should now be installed on your device.

Categories: Android, Computer Tags: , , ,
  1. August 3rd, 2010 at 19:37 | #1

If you are encountering any problems with that tutorial don’t hesitate posing a comment and also contact me letting me know about the problem.

2. August 5th, 2010 at 21:47 | #2

My Dad is thinking of switching his work phone (Nokia E71) for a HTC Hero. I should tell him about the update if he gets it.

3. August 6th, 2010 at 13:23 | #3

@adam
    Typo, he’s getting a T-Mobile G2. I thought they were the HTC Hero.

4. fonix232
    August 6th, 2010 at 16:34 | #4

A great tutorial, aVoN! Currently the best tutorial to root your HTC Desire!

Also, gonna get a HTC G1 soon Grin

5. fonix232
    August 7th, 2010 at 21:42 | #5

aVoN, may I ask you for some little stuff?
    I would need a Nandroid backup of a clean HTC Desire,with or without root, Android OS version does not matter. Could you please do this for me?

A little explanation: one of my friends wants to buy this phone. But she isn’t familiar with the OS, nor the user interface, and I promised her to show Desire in the android SDK emulator. But I need a nandroid system.img to do so :S

6. August 8th, 2010 at 23:41 | #6

Could you make a Tutorial on installing a new BIOS onto an External HDD if Windows says it’s not there?

7. August 10th, 2010 at 22:19 | #7

And do you know how to stop the annoying A2C_PRINT spam on Gmod Servers?

8. Roy
    August 13th, 2010 at 22:40 | #8

Great job. I follow the instruction, works for me, now I can play flv on the website.

9. August 16th, 2010 at 16:58 | #9

@adam
    What has this todo with this post? And what do you mean?

@adam
    What has this todo with this post? Yes, I know how to stop this DoS spam.

10. August 16th, 2010 at 17:21 | #10

@fonix232
    Sorry for the late reply, but I have been on Denmark from your post on till 14th of August.
    I made an nAndroid backup and saved it as system.img to where it belongs (unter platforms). The device stimply does not start. Tell your friend she shall take a look at the Desire in a shop first.

11. fonix232
    September 6th, 2010 at 19:45 | #11

@aVoN
    Sorry for the late reply, I was in Croatia from Aug 14 to Aug 28, and wasn’t watching you page.
    You did it wrong. First, you need to create a simple nandroid bkp, preferably from recovery. Then, take all the images, boot, recovery, userdata, etc, and put them on your PC. Then, in the SDK, create a new emulator matching the version of your nandroid. Then, goto C:\users\[username_here]\.android\avd\ and open your freshly created device’s folder (named [your_device].avd). Put the files there, if it asks for overwrite, do so. After this, run your device. It should boot.

If it does not, there are some config files you can play with. IDK which, but one controls the maximal system.img size what can be used, that should be edited.

Replacing images in platform folder does not work Grin

Also, got my G1, from Symbian, it is a huuuuuuuuuge jump. Lot faster, more responsive, lot better, and easier to program to. Already began working on a simple Kino Remote for it. Wanna take a look when I finish the HDPI version?

12. December 16th, 2010 at 13:03 | #12

Is this the same process for a G1?

13. December 16th, 2010 at 21:24 | #13

Also, will I still be able to get updates to newer Android Versions?

14. December 16th, 2010 at 22:18 | #14

Does the Version of Sync I use matter, because I have a T-Mobile G1.

15. Andris
    December 29th, 2010 at 21:32 | #15

what can i do if i have HBOOT version above that (i have 1.01…Wink

16. January 4th, 2011 at 01:15 | #16

@Adam
    No, not to my knowledge. The G1 is not supported by UnRevoked. Also, you loose any ability to use Android updates pushed out by your manufacture. You always HAVE to update manually once you have done it at one time.

@Andris
    This article is a bit older. UnRevoke may have updated to a grade, where you can use even that HBOOT. You have to try it. My best guess is, they fixed it.

17. January 4th, 2011 at 14:20 | #17

@aVoN
    Well, losing the updates wouldn’t matter because it gets none. There are also people who have installed the latest Android, but their tutorials are for the US Version, even when they say UK.

1. No trackbacks yet.

Click to Insert Smiley

SmileBig SmileGrinLaughLOLFrownBig FrownWinkKissRazzAngelAngryReally AngryConfusedNeutralThinkingChicCoolNerdSillyDrunken RazzMad RazzEvil GrinMeanPissed OffReally PissedCurseShoutGrit TeethCryWeepSide FrownWiltSmugDisdainRoll EyesSarcasmLoserTalk to the HandShyBeat UpPainShameBeautyBlushCuteLashesKissingKiss BlowKissedHeh!SmirkSnickerGiggleIn LoveDroolEek!ShockSickSuspenseTrembleDazedHypnotizedFoot in MouthMoney MouthQuietShut MouthDOH!IDKQuestionLyingStruggleSweatStopByeGo AwayWavingTime OutCall MeOn the PhoneMeetingSecretHandshakeHigh FiveHug LeftHug RightClapDanceJumpFingers CrossedVictoryYawnSleepyPrayWorshipWaitingAlienClownCowboyCyclopsDevilDoctorFemale FighterMale FighterMohawkMusicPartyPirateSkywalkerSnowmanSoldierGhostSkeletonEatStarvingVampireZombie KillerBunnyCatCat 2ChickChickenChicken 2CowCow 2DogDog 2DuckGoatHippoKoalaLionMonkeyMonkey 2MousePandaPigPig 2SheepSheep 2ReindeerSnailTigerTurtleFemaleMaleHeartBroken HeartRoseDead RosePeaceYin YangUS FlagMoonStarSunCloudyRainThunderUmbrellaRainbowMusic NoteYesNoAirplaneCarIslandAnnouncebrbBeerDrinkLiquorCakeCoffeePizzaWatermelonBowlPlateCanMailCellPhoneCameraFilmTVClockLampSearchCoinsComputerConsolePresentSoccerCloverPumpkinBombHammerKnifeHandcuffsPillPoopCigarette