Archive

Archive for January, 2012

My new rig

January 11th, 2012 3 comments

Lately it was time again to replace my old mid-range PC by a faster one. The old contains a Intel Core i5-750 on an Asus P7P55D board combined with 4 GB DDR 1333 Ram , a HD4890, 128 GB Vertex 2 SSD and 2 TB Seagate Barracude 7200.10 drive.

The new one now offers the best hardware which was yet not too expensive: Intel Core i7-2700K on a Asus P8z68-V/Gen3 paired with 8 GB DDR3 1600 and a HD6970. For storage I chose a Samsung MZ-7PC128D 128 GB SSD and a Seagate Green Barracude (5900/min) with 2 TB of space.

All single components (except for the 2 TB drive) already have around twice the performance of the old one.

So I might be able to play all the games I bought lately on full details, yay (CoD MW3, Serious Sam 3: BFE, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Saints Row the Third,…Wink

Edit: Just overclocked my CPU to 4.5 GHz for all cores. That’s 1 GHz more without turbo-mode and 900 MHz more with maximum TurboMode Clock for all cores simultaneously.. No Vcc increase was necessary and performance increased by more than 30% (as the power consumption did simultaneously). To my knowledge, the i7-2700k is capable of around 5 GHz and more but my cooling is not that sufficient anymore (EKL Alpenföhn Himilaya)

 

Edit:

This rig is AWESOME! Seriously. The CPU runs generally at 3.5 GH. With turbo boost it OCs one Core to 3.9 GHz, two to 3.8 GHz, three to 3.7 GHz and four to 3.6 GHz. Now it runs at 4.5 GHz for all four cores simultaneously without any performance or heat issues (+ 1 GHz to nominal clock). And I know it is capable of an OC to 5.4 GHz (water cooling is necessary beyond 5 GHz). I speak out my respect to Intel and their genious CPUs. I’ve never been that capable of OC with any AMD CPU I ever owned.

Categories: Blog Tags:

DiskCryptor 1.0.735.112 – Unofficial

January 8th, 2012 1 comment

The disk encryption tool DiskCryptor is my favorite tool when it comes to full-disk encryption of a system. The benefits (over e.g. TrueCrypt) are good performance on SSDs, hardware acceleration of AES and Serpent algorithm, fully licensed under GPL and other cool things.

Sadly the software has a tiny bug (and the developer not much time) which might lead to some users not having their full RAM available in Windows. Luckily the smart guy “someone” found the reason which is a too low maximum size entry in the bootloader for the E820 entry of the BIOS. With the information provided by “someone” I recompiled DiskCryptor from source. These are the steps I did:

  • Converted the project to Microsoft Visual Studio 10 format & fixed some compile properties like Output paths, which got somehow messed up during conversion (Compiling the driver on x86 still does not work, but the solution is simple.)
  • Modified boot/asm/struct.inc on line 65: map    rb (128 * sizeof.e820_entry)
  • Modified include/boot/e820.h on line 4: #define E820MAX    128        /* number of entries in E820MAP */
  • Modified include/version.h to show version to 1.0.735.112 (Last one is the version of the bootloader)
  • Compiled the whole project
  • Copied signed drivers and debugfiles (pdb) of the original DiskCryptor 1.0.735.111 over my compiled files
  • Made an (unsigned) installer

I tested the program on my laptop (Windows 7 x64) successfully with full system encryption, but I’m not sure if the fix works since I have no machine (yet, that’s why I compiled it) where the error appears.

BE AWARE THAT I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PROBLEMS OR DATALOSS AND I CAN’T GUARANTEE FOR THE FIX TO WORK.

The original author has fixed this issue in 1.0.802.118 and later. Please use his version instead: diskcryptor.net

Here is the installer: dcrypt_setup_1.0.735.112_UNOFFICIAL.exe

And here the sourcecode: diskcryptor_source_1.0.735.112_UNOFFICIAL.zip

Categories: Blog Tags: